In order to accelerate his recovery from knee surgery in preparation for this winter’s Ashes, England fast bowler Mark Wood is scheduled to play for Durham in the County Championship next month.
After undergoing surgery to repair damage to his left knee’s medial ligament, which was made worse during the Champions Trophy, Wood has been sidelined for the past six months. Wood had targeted the fifth Test at the Kia Oval for a comeback, but the four-month recuperation period turned out to be optimistic as he missed the duration of England’s Test series against India.
The 35-year-old was part of the team during that series, but his return was delayed due to a slight injury he sustained during Lord’s training before the third Test that necessitated the draining of fluid from his left knee. He was then scheduled to play in England’s September white-ball matches against Ireland and South Africa, but he was later left off of those rosters.
After being promoted last season, Durham is now in ninth place in Division One and fighting relegation. With the final three rounds against sides battling the drop England (September 8), Worcestershire (September 15), who are adrift at the bottom, and Yorkshire (September 24) their fate is still up in the air.
“I’m hoping to play for Durham as there are a couple of games in September – so I’ll try and play one or two of those,” Wood told the Stick to Cricket podcast.
“The injury is alright. It was fifty-fifty whether I was going to make the India Test but I was bowling at Lord’s and then, the next day, my knee swelled up again so I had it drained and since then it’s just been about taking things easy looking ahead to the winter.”
England is careful not to put too much pressure on Wood. He is still among the world’s fastest bowlers in spite of his lengthy injury history. With 17 wickets at 26.64 during the previous 2021–22 Ashes season, he was the finest visiting bowler on display.
He came in for the final three Test matches against Australia during the 2023 home summer and claimed 14 dismissals at 20.21. When he arrived, England was behind 2-0 and eventually tied the series.
Wood appealed to England head coach Brendon McCullum for more playing time before the season ended because he was tired of the routine of bowling in nets.
“I’ve been well looked after and very cautious, that’s the way that it’s been. I value it as they’ve (the ECB) got this end-game where they want me to get to Australia.
“But I said to Baz McCullum, I can’t just bowl to a net for four months, I’ll go insane. There’s a bowling camp in Loughborough in a tent – getting acclimatised there ready for Perth – then I’ll go over to Perth early with a couple of bowlers. We’ll arrive about a week early to prepare and get acclimatised.”
England’s fast bowling reserves, which are nearly at capacity as they have been this summer, will benefit from Wood’s anticipated comeback.